More and more attention is paid to the issues of sorting and recycling of waste. Since 2015, the organization “Ukraine without garbage” has started working in the country. The first sorting stations were opened in Kiev. Now more and more cities are joining the trendy Zero Waste concept. In different places you can find containers for mixed waste and recyclable materials. And also stations are opening where you can hand over the sorted waste. The basic principles of sorting and places of reception will be discussed below.
What is the Zero Waste Concept
The Zero Waste concept (literally "zero waste") is actively promoted all over the world by the international organization Zero Waste International. The idea is that waste can be recyclable and not trash. The goal includes a moral, ecological, economical component. This is a global project that should affect the thinking and lifestyle of all people on the planet.
You can reduce the amount of waste by using reusable items or sorting waste. The main thing is that as few things as possible end up in landfills. The organization is also trying to reduce the amount of hazardous waste that is buried, burned or ends up in general landfills. For the future, the corporation wants to include in the plan the fight against harmful emissions that fall on land, water or air. Since they harm the health of people, animals, plants
The first marshalling yard in Lviv
In 2019, in the city of Lviv, on the territory of the Rema plant, a sorting station was opened for the first time. It was launched by Green Box activists supporting the Zero Waste concept.
More than 20 types of waste and secondary raw materials can be brought here:
- broken glass;
- glass containers;
- ferrous and non-ferrous metal;
- PET bottles;
- Tetra Pak;
- Cell phones;
- plastic covers;
- car and household batteries;
- plastic and stretch film;
- home appliances.
There are consultants here who will tell you about the principles of sorting, help you sort out recycled materials correctly. Then it is accumulated, pressed and then sent for processing. The station is located at Zavodskaya 31. Working hours: from Monday to Friday from 17:00 to 20:00, and on Saturday from 12:00 to 17:00. Recyclable materials are accepted free of charge. Here you can also order the removal of any amount of waste available for recycling.
This project is especially useful for Lviv, because it helps not to accumulate waste in landfills. The organizers of the project have an idea to teach everyone the basics of waste sorting. That will certainly affect the cleanliness and ecology of the city.
Already on the streets you can see bins for sorting waste: glass, plastic, paper, mixed waste, and organic matter. A separate garbage truck is allocated especially for organic matter, which will transport waste for further composting.
Where else can you hand over garbage in Lviv
In addition to the voluntary organization "Green Box" in Lviv there are 6 more points where recyclable materials are accepted.
- Here you can return mobile phones, non-working laptops, other home appliances, the main thing is that it was released after 2004. Accepted at st. Princess Olga, 106 and st. Kavaleridze, 1. Opening hours: Mon-Sat: 10: 00-19: 00.
- OSBB "Svitlytsya-46". Here you can return thermometers, light bulbs, batteries, PET bottles, glass containers, plastic, paper, aluminum and mobile phones. The peculiarity of this organization is that they use the proceeds to beautify the courtyard of 4 houses. Located at st. Vladimir the Great, 46. Reception days: Mon-Sat: 08.00 - 20.00.
- Shop "Atas". Accepts batteries, mobile phones, household appliances. Do not accept hazardous waste. Located on the street. Ugorskoy, 14. Working hours: Mon-Fri: 10: 00-19: 00, Sat: 10: 00-17: 00.
- Shop "Pritonchik" on Bogun Street, 9. Here you can also rent home appliances, mobile phones, batteries, rechargeable batteries. Reception hours: Mon-Fri: 10: 00-19: 00, Sat: 10: 00-17: 00.
- Melika company. The organization recycles household and office equipment, computers, mobile phones. Located on the street. Paton 22.
Understanding how unrecycled waste negatively affects the environment and human health motivates more attention to waste sorting. Plastic decomposes for at least 50 years. And its processing will make it possible to use the material for other purposes. That is why it is necessary to think about sorting garbage when placing purchases when you come from the store.
Garbage sorting rules
Understanding whether the packaging is accepted for recycling or not, you can immediately put it aside in a certain place. The main thing here is to adhere to 3 rules. The first is to clean the container from organic matter and wash it thoroughly. After it must be dried. And then be sure to squeeze as much as possible. Thus, it will take up as little space as possible.
Now about what kind of garbage should not be sent to general trash cans. First of all, these are household appliances, no matter outdated or broken. Also batteries, accumulators, mobile phones, tetra-pack, clothes and bulky household waste. These items have their own collection points.
How to sort recycled materials correctly:
- Sheets, cardboard, notebooks, office paper, notepads, sketchbooks, newspaper and magazine products fall into this category. Foldable into a separate tank.
- Leaves, grass, branches, food debris are thrown away separately.
- Bottles of medicines, cosmetics, food and drinks go to a separate tank. Pre-cleaned.
- Aluminum, metal lids, cans go to a separate tank.
- Plastic bottles are labeled. No. 1 (PET), No. 2 (HDPE), No. 4 (LDPE), No. 5 (PP) are sent to a separate tank. The lack of marking, or No. 3 (PVC), No. 6 (PS), No. 7 (other) indicates that the material is not recyclable.
Other types of waste are thrown into the general trash can. For example, with traces of food, tickets, receipts, glass. And the sorted waste must be handed over to the recycling centers listed above.